Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 3


So last night I had an itch to bake something. I was looking through the VeganYumYum app on my phone and saw the most amazing crumb cake I've ever laid eyes on. (The Egglant and Pine Nut Rolled Lasagna is literally to die for!) I know the reciepe and pictures are on
VYY Crumb Cake but I thought it would be fun to document it here since it turned out beautifully when I made it. Here goes!


Crumb Cake
Serves about 9 in an 8"x8" pan

-->CRUMB TOPPING
8 TB vegan margarine, melted
2/3 Cup granulated sugar
1 TSP molasses
3/4 TSP cinnamon
1 Pinch salt
1 3/4 Cup flour

--> Cake
1 1/4 Cup flour
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1/2 TSP baking powder
1/4 TSP salt
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
1/3 Cup soy milk + 1 TSP apple cider vinegar
1/4 Cup water + 1 TB cornstarch
2 TSP vanilla
Powdered Sugar, for dusting

--> Supplies
8"x8" pan
Aluminum foil
Whisk
Liquid Measuring cup
Dry Measuring cups
Measuring spoons


1. Preheat the oven to 350* F.

2. Whisk the warm margarine with the sugar, molasses, cinnamon and salt.
3. Mix the flour in with your hands until it comes together and has a cookie-dough-like texture. (I needed to add an extra tablespoon of melted margarine because mine was a little too dry!) Set aside to cool while you put together the cake batter.
4. Line the 8"x8" pan with two sheets of foil, letting a little extra hang over the sides so you can lift it out easily later. Spray the sheets with vegetable oil.
5. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking power and salt together in a large bowl. Add in the oil, soy milk + vinegar mixture, water + cornstarch mixture, and vanilla. Mix until smooth, but DO NOT OVER MIX or you will get a tough cake.
6. Add the cake batter to your prepared pan, make sure the batter is evenly distributed in the pan.
7. Start breaking apart the crumb mixture into small pea-sized pieces. (Mine were about the size of tiny grapes, but either work.) Start covering the batter with the crumb pieces. You'll cover everything before you are halfway through the mix, but make sure to use it all because it's delicious.

8. Bake your crumb cake for 40-50 minutes at 350* (I baked mine for just over 45 minutes, so it may need to go the full 50). The top should be starting to brown and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Also, push over a few crumbs and make sure the top isn't still wet or gooey.
9. Carefully grab the foil and lift the cake out onto a rack to cool for about 25 minutes.
10. Once cooled, dust with powdered sugar if desired. I liked it either way, but the sugar makes a nice presentation.

This was my piece! It was so good slightly warmed still, though it was very rich. I wanted to eat the entire thing as soon as it was cooled, but after that piece I knew that wouldn't be possible. I recommend trying it with coffee or tea.

I hope everyone enjoys this, I'll be baking more soon. In the meantime, try this! :)

-Gabi

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment