Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 10

Today I was in the baking-mood again. My mom wanted me to make these fig scones I made before, but they weren't my favorite. I decided to try these Oatmeal Cinnamon scones (Veganized, of course). They turned out really well, not overly sweet, but still delicious. I don't like super sweet things for breakfast. You can add in 1/3 of a cup of any dried fruit if you like or 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, but I kept mine simple.

Vegan Oatmeal Cinnamon Scones
1/2 cup margarine
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup oats
1/3 cup soy milk
sanding sugar, if desire for topping
1/3 cup dried fruit (optional)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Supplies: baking sheet, medium mixing bowl, liquid measuring cup, dry measuring cups, measuring spoons
1. Preheat over to 375* Chill your mixing bowl for 5-10 minutes before starting. Also, chill the baking sheet while preparing everything else.

2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.

3. Cut in margarine (I quickly used my hands to cut it in, but work fast because you want the margarine to stay very cold.) until very crumbly. Stir in oats and any dried fruit or nuts, if using.

4. Add in soy milk and mix gently until the dough just clings together, do not over mix.

5. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and quickly pat into a 7" circle so the margarine doesn't get warm. Cut into 8 wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. (The easiest way the make 8 wedges is to cut the circle in fourths, then each fourth into two.)

6. Sprinkle each scone with sanding sugar, if desired. (Mine look really white from the flour, but I dusted them off a little before baking and forgot to reshoot them.)

7. Bake 15-18 minutes at 375* until golden and firm to the touch. (I went 16 and a half minutes.)



I hope you enjoy these, my mom is eating one right this minutes and she like them better than the fig ones! "The belly rules the mind." --Spanish Proverb
GABI

No comments:

Post a Comment